Friday, January 4, 2008

New York, New York

We have had a fun-filled last 2 weeks, as Joel's mom, Claire and younger sister, Chelsea, have been visiting us. We had a wonderful Christmas together and enjoyed being at our home for the holiday. On December 27, we drove up to New York City (well, Newark Airport, actually, then took the train into the city) for 3 full, fun days. Here are some pictures, and I'll narrate as best I can. We absolutely love the city... and love visitors even more (hint, hint!).

Look, no hands! (on the train from the airport to the New Jersey train terminal, or the "train to the train" as we like to call it). Claire is bracing herself for the crowds.

The Empire State Building, all dressed up for Christmas.

Amber resting at the New York Public Library, while Joel, Chelsea and Claire run around and explore. Look, Chelsea, snow! Or maybe it's just the lights on Lord and Taylor. But I love this night shot! We tried to go skating at Rockerfeller Center (how cool would that be?) but the line was really long and it was REALLY crowded. Maybe next time.
The Empire State Building, again, but this time as view through a lit up tree.
The girls at Times Square.
We had to have some New York Pizza! It was really good!
Macy's at night.
Bunk beds for cars, with Empire State in the background.
The hours of research paid off, because our hotel was great. It was not very expesive (by New York standards), had VERY comfortable beds, great character (the old Life Magazine building), and best of all, was in the heart of Midtown (2 blocks from the Empire State building). We'll definitely be staying here again!
We had coffee every morning (and cocoa every night!) from this machine in our hotel. It made really good mochas. I hope they have it next time!
Claire's NYC wishlist: a visit to Macy's! It was really beautiful inside.
Chelsea only wishes this hat was hers. I imagine her dog Lucy is jealous of the affection she is showing this little purse.
It was cold. Therefore, we rode the subway most places.
Joel and Chelsea in front of the underground Apple Store.
The old, viewed through the new.

And then off to Chelsea. Of course, this area was a must-stop with Chelsea Hill and her fan club (that would be us)!
It was nice of this cab to pose in front of the Chelsea market for me. The market was probably the coolest building I have ever been. I love the old brick and metal warehouse aesthetic.
"Can you tell me how to get to".... a cupcake?
We had fun taking pictures of all the "Chelseas". I think was actually "Chelsea Thai", but really, we only cared about the "Chelsea" part.
Gotta love the little Italian markets...
A view from the lunch counter at this cute little "Dairy Deli" where we had sandwiches and farm-fresh (chocolate) milk for lunch.
How many times in Chelsea's name in this picture? We thought she should be the mascot...

Amber on the endless hunt for the perfect pashima.

This bagel place was one block from our hotel. Did I mention what a find this hotel was?

New York and the Brooklyn Bridge as viewed from the Statton Island Ferry. No trip to NYC is complete without a little boat trip to see Lady Liberty. Actually, I like the views of the city better...
Anyone want a drink? This was one of TWO pigeons that made this fountain their bath. Yes, we did see a human also drinking out of it right afterwards!
Windy! Wow, Chelsea, you're so photogenic!
Amber by the Wall Street bull. This is as close as we could get. Silly tourists.
This really cool church with a preserved Sycamore tree that was uprooted on Sept. 11.
The cavernous and deteriorating New York Subway system. Joel had quite a lot of fun taking pictures in here.
Grafiti stairwell. Even though it was a sketchy neighborhood, this was too amazing to pass up
breaking out the camera. I really like this picture that we took on the fringes of Chinatown. Note the ducks hanging in the window.

The perfect way to end a trip to New York- the best corned beef ever! (okay, maybe it was my first corned beef ever, too, but it was REALLY good!). This is a definite stop on the next trip...

1 comment:

jessi said...

Okay, so this was news to me, but did you know that the Public Library wasn't going to have a bunch of books and comfy chairs? I wandered around for awhile, but it wasn't the bibliophile experience I had hoped for.

But I do love visiting New York!